12 Days of Christmas: sorting fact from fiction this festive season
"On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me; a partridge in a pear tree."
While we've all heard the infamous strains of 'The Twelve Days of Christmas' in every shopping centre, at every school concert and around every corner between here and eternity each festive season; what exactly is the 'twelve days of Christmas?' Where did it come from and what does it mean? We investigate one of the greatest mysteries of Christmas tradition and uncover why this simple concept has had such a great impact on Christmas as we know it.
What are the 12 days of Christmas?
According to Christian religion, the twelve days of Christmas actually begins on December 25 (yep, that's right, Christmas Day), and is a post-Christmas period in which families fast, give thanks and celebrate various religious occasions following the birth of Jesus. Thanks to the popular Christmas carol we mentioned earlier, the twelve days of Christmas has now become folklore and for many, a symbolisation of all the gifts they will give and receive during the festive season. Many people today also celebrate the 'twelve days of Christmas' as a countdown to actual Christmas Day.
12 secret meanings
Many historians believe that the twelve gifts mentioned in the popular song lyrics are coded Christian references, from a time in history when people weren't allowed to openly practice the Christian religion. While we're not convinced on the secret meaning of turtle doves, French hens and calling birds - we do agree that five go-old rings sounds like a great Christmas gift!
A twist on tradition
And while everyone from Meatloaf to The Muppets has had a go at putting their own personal twist on this Christmas classic, we decided to do it the Personalised Favoursway, and choose twelve of our most popular Christmas products, to inspire and delight you this festive season:
- Engraved Wooden Stained Wine Box - beating a partridge in a pear tree any day, this timeless gift says Merry Christmas like you mean it! Complete with a set of wine tools and elegant satin interior, this hardwood Christmas wonder is sure to be well received.
- Engraved Hip Flask - for those that like their eggnog on the go, you can't go wrong with this customised, cheeky gift.
- Bamboo Christmas Tree Ornaments - really get personal with intimate images depicted on delicate tree ornaments, to relive those special memories this Christmas.
- Engraved Christmas Vase - perfect for mum, Nanna or Grandma, an designer glass vase inscribed with your special Christmas message combines sentiment and style.
- Engraved Beer Mug - what better way to toast the silly season than with a 500mL beer mug featuring your own special message, name, artwork or company slogan?
- Deluxe Whiskey Decanter - for the more refined among us at Christmas time, this high-end piece is ideal for the high rollers in your life.
- 3-piece Cheese Knife Block Set - cheeky or cheesy, customise your Christmas sentiment to suit this exceptionally popular gift!
- Leatherette Luggage Tag - an ideal memento for friends travelling near and far.
- Engraved Stemless Wine Glass - giggle with girlfriends over a drop this festive season, all served in your signature stemless glass, of course!
- Bamboo Angel Christmas Ornament - perfect for every member of the family, this gorgeous gift embodies the spirit of Christmas.
- Deluxe Engraved Cheeseboard - go all out with a quality gift that will impress even the hardest-to-buy-for recipients on your Christmas list.
- Natural Wooden Wine and Champagne Box - the ideal gift for every special occasion - now that'll give those twelve drummers something to drum about!
So, if you're short some turtle doves this gift-giving season, you can't go wrong with a customised Christmas gift that is both personal and practical.
Merry Christmas! Team PF. X